Author Topic: coffee filters  (Read 16881 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: coffee filters
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 03:39:57 PM »
I got a blade grinder free with some whole bean coffee I ordered. I guess it worked well enough for drip coffee. Other than that one time I've always bought ground coffee. But I don't buy it in big cans like my mom does. It always smells really stale by the time she uses 1/4 of it. If you're using a French press and grinding your own beans you need a burr grinder. Most of them cost hundreds of dollars but will give you a consistent grind that a blade grinder like mine can't. Mine works like a blender with a dull blade that beats the beans into submission.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »
Burr grinder, 40 bucks.  Works fine with fine to coarse.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 05:02:16 PM »
Don’t grind if the wife is sleeping! 

It’s a noisy grinder.  LOL

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »
That grinder got good reviews, but also really bad ones. Here are just a few bad things people said about it. They don't last long before they break. Maybe it's because of all of the coffee that's sucked into the part where the motor is. It makes a fine powder no matter what grind you set it to. Or it leaves big chunks in the grinds. And it never grinds the same amount twice when the setting is the same.

If it works right then you're one of the lucky ones. Some people aren't so lucky. To make inconsistent grinds like some people say it does, it sounds like it's not really burr mill at all. Some cheap grinders that claim to be burr mills only have one set of teeth, and not the two sets of teeth grinding together that a burr mill actually has. But I don't see a picture of the innards and don't know what it is. It's probably still a lot better than my coffee grinder.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:34:29 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 05:56:47 PM »
I’ve had mine well over a year.  No problems yet but I clean it often.

Would have preferred a high end one but I grind maybe a pound every two weeks or so.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »
Seriously?  What's it to you if the guy likes Folgers from his drip coffee maker?  Maybe when Michael moves this forum to the new platform people will start talking more about guns and less about biscuits and coffee.  Bogan was right.  This forum has become completely lame.

Well, we were left to fend for ourselves. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 02:33:12 AM »
There would be more talk about guns if more people would stay here and post instead of leaving the forum. I blame people like BAC, but those of us still here have to talk about something.

Anyone know what "the new platform" is. I never heard anything about it until this thread. It wasn't in any of the weekly emails I get and I didn't see anything about it on the site either. It seems like there should be a big headline on the home page if the forum is moving to a new platform.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 12:15:04 PM »
Well, we were left to fend for ourselves.

IMHO that is as it should be. As you know I don't post very often but I DO read almost every day. Those of you on FB know I also post there once in a while.

I really don't know any of you but have read enough to know I would feel right at home sitting down around a pot belly stove with any/all of you (Even Tom Bogan).
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 10:01:22 PM »
If you're cutting down on iced tea to avoid the caffeine, they do sell decaffeinated tea. You can make sun tea or steep it just like regular tea. The store I do most of my shopping at has about 18 kinds not counting all the herbal teas. Too bad they only have a few different kinds of decaf coffee. I still drink way more coffee than tea but I do really like iced tea.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk