Author Topic: coffee filters  (Read 16880 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: coffee filters
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 03:38:39 PM »
How about a post on guns and coffee in just 4 words?

Black Rifle Coffee Company.

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

I just found out they have decaf now. I didn't see any when I checked before.

And don't forget the BRC youtube commercials are great too.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 06:36:30 PM »
Last night I looked to see how much it would cost to get 2 bags of BRC Just Decaf. It was $12.99 per bag, $25.98 for 2, plus $5.95 for economy shipping. The grand total for 2 12-ounce bags was $ 31.93. Then I checked to see what I paid for 2 bags of Gevalia at Kroger Tuesday. It was $6.99 per bag, 80 cents off the regular price like it is a lot of times, and I had a $3.00 off digital coupon good on the purchase of 2 bags. The grand total for 2 12-ounce bags was $10.98 and no tax. The $20.95 difference in the price is worth the time and money spent to drive 1 mile to the store and back. It covers 70% of the price of the coffee maker I ordered at smile.amazon.com last night for $29.99 with no taxes or shipping. I'll find the other $9.04 somewhere in my budget. Oh yeah, I already did when I saved $14.47 off half a tank of gas yesterday.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2019, 12:09:11 AM »
In a few days I'll know if my new coffee maker is any good or not. There's no clock and nothing to program. It has a switch to turn it on and off and that's all. It doesn't automatically shut itself off either so I have to make sure it's off before I go anywhere. It's purely electric with no electronics AFAIK, so I don't think an EMP would effect it. It has a reusable mesh filter, possibly nylon, but I only know what people said online. It also takes paper filters which I'll use if they can keep up with the flow.

Melitta filters always worked well in my old coffee makers, but I don't think I've ever had any filters that didn't. If Melitta filters aren't on sale I buy the Kroger brand because they're cheaper. I never double up and my coffee isn't oily or bitter. I hope the new coffee maker works as well as my last two.

I got another digital coupon to save $3.00 on 2 bags of coffee at Kroger and it's on sale for $6.49 per bag now. If I'm doing the math right in my head, that's only $9.98 for 2 bags. I already have a half dozen in the cupboard but it'll keep. If I can get coffee I like that cheap I'll never find out if BRC is any good or not.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 11:14:28 PM »
I was surprised that the post office delivered my coffee maker on Sunday. I ran it a few times with no coffee, just water, to hopefully remove whatever Chinese chemicals were in it, and I made my first pot of coffee with it today. So far I don't think a $30 coffee maker makes coffee as good as one that costs $200. But it still wasn't bad, and I haven't figured out yet how much coffee to put in it. The #4 cone filters I already had fit great, and it didn't overflow but did get up to 1/2" from the top. They say not to use fine ground coffee in it or it can overflow the filter holder, but that's all I ever have. It makes 10 4-ounce cups, or 5 actual cups, which I think most manufacturers would call 8 cups. The carafe looks tiny compared to my 12 cup coffee maker. I could barely get my hand in it to wash it out but the hot soapy water made it easier to squeeze into.

I got an extra dollar off my last two bags of coffee, so that was $8.98 (regular price $15.58) for both. That's about 72% less than 2 bags of Black Rifle Coffee. I'd like to try it some time, but not for the prices they charge. There were a bunch of things they were taking money off of at Kroger that I didn't know about. They gave me another 12-ounce bottle of Sweet Bay Ray's hot sauce for free plus took 50 cents off of it. Then when they overcharged me on another item, they had to refund the difference plus give me 10 times the difference because of the Michigan Scanner Law. They must really like giving me money.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2019, 03:50:28 PM »
As long as the filter and coffee are of acceptable quality and the coffee maker works right, you should have good coffee using one filter. I got lucky and Kroger had a digital coupon for my preferred coffee filters - Melitta #4 cone filters in the 100 count box. It was only good for that brand, filter size, and package size. It was like the stores had a sale for everyone that was really made just for me. :) The coupon was good for up to 5 boxes and I got my limit, so with an unopened box already in the cupboard I'll be set for close to 2 years. Cheap!

I just read on Wikipedia that the Melitta company is named after Melitta Bentz who founded the company after she invented the drip brew paper coffee filter (German patent granted July 8, 1908). They know a thing or two about coffee. BTW, the 30 buck Gourmia brand coffee maker makes a decent cup of coffee. The first few times I used it, it didn't seem to get as hot as all my old coffee makers. Now it's really hot like they were. It had a chemical smell at first too but the coffee tasted good. The smell burned off soon enough. Eight cups (32 ounces) in it is about the same amount as the 6 cups (30 ounces) I was used to drinking most of the time when using my 12-cup coffee maker. Making less than 1/2 a pot of coffee is inefficient and it doesn't taste the same, so you would need to use more grounds per cup and it still might not taste right. I always made a whole pot or a half pot, and never less, with any of my coffee makers.

https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-Automatic-Extra-Large-Reservoir-One-Touch/dp/B07KGJ1479/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2FR46VYM966JP&keywords=gourmia+coffee+maker&qid=1572815651&refinements=p_89%3AGourmia%2Cp_n_feature_twenty-seven_browse-bin%3A17696984011&rnid=17696981011&s=kitchen&sprefix=gourmia+co%2Caps%2C169&sr=1-2

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:41:46 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2019, 04:03:54 PM »
Coffee "professionals" advise that for the best taste ALL the grounds should be in contact with ALL the water from 4 to 6 minutes depending upon taste preference...so it is likely that the two filters did allow a longer soaking time overall which could improve the taste.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2019, 04:40:53 PM »
That's possible. Filter paper supposedly absorbs the oils that make coffee bitter too. It would have overflowed my coffeemaker if it slowed it down. A French press takes even less time and all the water is in contact with all the grounds, but I don't want to get that involved with my coffee. Cold brewed tastes the best of any coffee I've had, but who wants to soak a whole bunch of coffee grounds overnight?

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 10:16:48 AM »
I used the unbleached coffee filters.  Community dark roast as a base that I will add other coffee's to.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
I used the unbleached coffee filters.  Community dark roast as a base that I will add other coffee's to.

We use unbleached filters as well.

We generally drink McCafe medium roast as our "bulk" coffee (tastes nothing like McD's in-house brews) and New England Coffee Co doughnut shop blend as well as 1850 Pioneer blend (made by Folgers). The 1850 is pretty good coffee, strong but smooth.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
If you ever get down around Beamont, TX, try some Seaport dark roast.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk