Author Topic: Pistol Caliber AR Build  (Read 12164 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Pistol Caliber AR Build
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2021, 08:58:18 AM »
Man those things are pricey.  I got off track with the dang virus and fixing up this old farm.  I need to get back on track with this project.

I think CMMG makes them from gold.  ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2021, 09:46:14 AM »
2 years.  I'd have totally forgotten about a project and used the parts for something else.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2021, 03:26:50 PM »
late follow up on the RMR2... bought one for my birthday present, last October was the 1 year anniversary, and changed out the 2032 battery... one year continuous use... it is on a G17.3 and was milled by BattleWerx.... excellent machine work and pretty quick turn around

the G17.3 is currently in a Recover Tactical 20/20 brace

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2021, 07:25:05 AM »
late follow up on the RMR2... bought one for my birthday present, last October was the 1 year anniversary, and changed out the 2032 battery... one year continuous use... it is on a G17.3 and was milled by BattleWerx.... excellent machine work and pretty quick turn around

Pictures Les.  We need something we can imagine we are fondling.....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2021, 07:27:43 AM »
2 years.  I'd have totally forgotten about a project and used the parts for something else.

Old age Alf....old age.  Heck I did something similar with my.....what was that?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 04:10:46 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2021, 08:28:49 AM »

Does the milling weaken the slide, and would a CZ 75 compact, or Witness P have enough meat to hold up with those cuts and 10MM  ?

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2021, 04:54:53 PM »
Rastus, Tom... I don't have a posting site so unless someone can transfer some pictures... I have e-mailed pictures to individuals if you send your e-mail

Tom... the Trijicon RMR2 slightly overhangs the edge of a Glock 9mm slide about .050" on each side... the Glock slide is about 1.005" wide, don't have any of the CZs around... I would be very doubtful that the milling would weaken the slide, though any non radius cuts might in the future cause stress points... the profile used by BattleWerx is to machine a pair of studs down through which the attachment cap screws are threaded... the fore and aft machine work is so precise on my pistol, the concave front cut centers the sight, and the close tolerances transfer the horizontal shear force directly to the slide and most likely not much is absorbed by the studs... I changed out the battery on my birthday... one year of constant on

my other RDS is on a Swensen slide from Brownells and is cut by them for a Vortex Venom.... if I had the opportunity for a "do over" I would have chosen a HoloSun 507c... I'm really impressed with the 510 and 507 that I have on my competition .22s for Steel Challenge

tombogan03884

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2021, 08:32:14 AM »
Rastus, Tom... I don't have a posting site so unless someone can transfer some pictures... I have e-mailed pictures to individuals if you send your e-mail

Tom... the Trijicon RMR2 slightly overhangs the edge of a Glock 9mm slide about .050" on each side... the Glock slide is about 1.005" wide, don't have any of the CZs around... I would be very doubtful that the milling would weaken the slide, though any non radius cuts might in the future cause stress points... the profile used by BattleWerx is to machine a pair of studs down through which the attachment cap screws are threaded... the fore and aft machine work is so precise on my pistol, the concave front cut centers the sight, and the close tolerances transfer the horizontal shear force directly to the slide and most likely not much is absorbed by the studs... I changed out the battery on my birthday... one year of constant on

my other RDS is on a Swensen slide from Brownells and is cut by them for a Vortex Venom.... if I had the opportunity for a "do over" I would have chosen a HoloSun 507c... I'm really impressed with the 510 and 507 that I have on my competition .22s for Steel Challenge

Thank You !   ;D
I want to assemble another AR pistol first, but I'm going to be saving for a site and some milling work.   ;D
I don't have any reputable GUN machining around here so I'll be checking prices at places YOU ALL recommend.
The square corner creating a  stress point is the sort of tribal knowledge that keeps me from going to some one I used to work with. None of the ones still around have gun experience.
Why would you prefer the Holosun ?
I'll probably be ready to actually send out the slide in 6 months or a year.
I've managed with iron sites this long I'm not in a blazing rush, although I am eager to get it finished and tried out.   ;D

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2021, 07:59:06 AM »
Tom... re: Holosun... I have three, two 510, and a 507... the 510 has a jumbo tron view through the lens, and for a competition gun, allows me to track the steel much better... both models have an integral solar cell, the small 507 is on the bridge protecting the lens, and the 510 on the flat behind the lens... they have automatic brightening as the ambient light increases so does the dot brightness...the 1632/2032 cells are not rechargable and the solar cells power the LED with available light...,   they both have a "shake awake" function that instantly turns them on...the 510 has a usable circle, circle dot, and dot reticle option... the small one also, but the diameter of the circle is too small for my use... price wise they were in the $310 range, about $75 more than the Vortex, and $150 less than the Trijicon

tombogan03884

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2021, 08:57:59 AM »
Yes, I was looking online and I REALLY like the idea of the solar cell.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk