Author Topic: Who's Good At Math ?  (Read 6153 times)

Timothy

Re: Who's Good At Math ?
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2020, 01:05:29 PM »
10 mm is .3937”.

Just over 3/8”

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2020, 01:23:21 PM »
I want to get back to the gin and tonic thing.

I lie.  Gin and vermouth.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2020, 01:25:55 PM »
Crap. I was going to suggest Ginger Beer, but I don't even know what Vermouth is.   ;D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2020, 02:34:33 PM »
Isn't that the state just west of NH?  :D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »
They would have freaking LOVED you at the old Thompson Center Arms  ;D
The head of Maint. was a Co founder of the original Company.
His hobby was restoring antique machines, when he ran out of barn space he leased them to the Company    ;D
The 2 Blanchard grinders I roughed out Contender receiver's on had serial numbers 0018 and 0020 made in 1918. They had Frankfort Arsenal Data plates, they had been used to make Dog leg Enfields.
That was the stuff that got burned up in the big fire in 1995.

There was always a waiting list a mile long to buy the decommissioned machines from the machine shop. Sometimes we could bid for them and if the machine was over a certain age, we could buy them for scrap at .05 cents per pound. I got a couple of band-saws for around $30 each one time, but never was far enough up the line for mills or lathes.
One of the machinists was a neighbor up the road and had a side business as a gunsmith. He supplied his entire shop by buying old saws, mills and lathes and putting new gibs and ways on them. Then all he had to do was either convert them to single phase or buy a three phase converter to run them. Once he retired from the company, he was set up to gunsmith full time (he's the guy who straightened the .410 barrel my dad bent).

Isn't that the state just west of NH?  :D

Indeed.  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 11:44:25 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2020, 07:42:22 PM »
OOOHH ! You're talking about the New Hampshire Grant's.
That's a lawsuit that hasn't been settled since 1757.

Pegleg, Yes, other than bearings the cast parts will last forever.
Unless you burn a building on them.
That pretty much f%$ks them up.   ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2020, 08:48:30 PM »
OK, another math problem. If I have a quart of fuel mixed at 50-1, and I want to increase the mix to 32-1, how much additional oil do I need to add?.....

The reason for all of this is because Tru-Fuel only comes premixed at a 40-1, or a 50-1 ratio. So you have to custom blend it for anything else. They also have a 4-cycle fuel that contains no oil. I like running the Tru-Fuel because it contains zero Ethanol, and is 92 octane. And it's purpose blended for small engines. And as I mentioned before, it has a 2 year minimum shelf life. VP Racing also makes a similar product, as does Stihl. But it is also blended in only 40-1 and 50-1. The VP product is 94 octane.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2020, 08:56:02 PM »
I came up with 32 ounces divided by 50 = .64 ounces of oil per quart. 32-1 equals 1 ounce of oil per quart. 1.00 - .64 = .36 ounces, (10.64 ML.), additional oil to be added to boost the mixture from 50-1 to 32-1. At least that's how I figure it. What say you guys?

tombogan03884

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2020, 09:49:52 PM »
Bill, I don't think any one is home   ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2020, 03:30:48 AM »
I typed it in before I shut down for the night. Perhaps when you guys have had your morning coffee, you can check my arithmetic before I start mixing.

I bought a new 2-stroke Echo hedge trimmer, and I've been reading up, and watching videos on 2-strokes. A lot of small engine mechanics are telling people to NEVER run new 2-stroke lawn and garden equipment on the owners manual recommended 50-1 ratio. It's all a smokescreen by the EPA for lower emissions, nothing more. (The EPA HATES 2-strokes, and wants them phased out). Most of these guys are telling people, it's usually the cause for every non running 2-stroke that comes in they have to pull apart. Most all that have been run on 50-1, have had little to no compression, along with scored pistons and cylinder walls. Many of these engines have frozen piston rings after as little as 50 hours of run time. (Or else just over the warranty period). Some manufacturers are even suggesting 100-1 gas / oil ratio, so they can sell in Canada and Europe, along with states like California, that have stricter emissions laws.

A lot of 2-stroke outboards, and personal watercraft have run 50-1 for years. But they are water cooled, which is a big difference from an air cooled chainsaw or string trimmer, screaming at 10K+ RPM for hours on end in 100F+ heat.

It all makes perfect sense, because a lot of manufacturers are now calling for 50-1 gas /oil ratio's on the exact same engines they were selling just a few years ago, that they called for 32-1, or even 16-1 on some string trimmers and saws that constantly run wide open, (10,000 RPM or higher).

The only downside to a richer oil mixture, is a bit more smoke, and spark plugs that won't last quite as long. Plugs are cheap, and take 5 minutes to change out. (A lot of karting racers have been running 16-1 for years... And still do). I paid good money for this stuff, and I want it to last. It's bad enough the F'ing government dictates how much water I have to use to flush my toilet. I'll be damned if they're going to tell me I have to burn up my engines faster, just to keep a smile on some bureaucrats face..... Rant off.  >:(   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk