Author Topic: Do You Find Yourself Sleeping More Or Less Since Retirement ?  (Read 26015 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Do You Find Yourself Sleeping More Or Less Since Retirement ?
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2021, 06:27:00 PM »
<snip> Not to mention that we are using icf.  Which is not really done here ( once again I have no clue why, its perfect for here)

Foxblocks?  You know I want to build an icf house. 

I'm waiting to build.  Even barely acceptable "skilled" labor is hard to come by.  The Bozo's you can find will easily cost you 2X in mistakes and bad attitudes.  Building materials are still high but it's the labor that is keeping my project on the back burner.  I had planned to sell the house out of Tulsa next month but...with the national inflation rate for the last 5 months coming in at an annual rate of 10.4% (13 % with fuel and food that they don't count) I don't see how anyone can afford to put cash in the bank and let it wait for a project a year later.  If this "transitory inflation" keeps up, and it will, a buck in cash now will be worth 87 cents this time next year. 

So...to sell or not sell, to build or not build is a catch 22 for me.  If I miss the home sales runup I'll sell for less.  If I sell now my money will be worth less for the project.  I'm thinking I will rent the house out or take out an ad in a California newspaper real estate section and list it for double the going rate to see if I get a bit.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2021, 06:51:54 PM »
I already have the house water tight.  It is icf, did not go with fox due to wait times.  Went with a competitor. Nudura xr35. 

Pretty much the same, only slightly thicker  wall and more r value. R 35 vs r 24.

11.25 vs 14.375.  Fox being smaller.

There was a simlar increases in price.  Nudura has basicly thr same product and cost is the same.  Just availability.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2021, 07:55:13 AM »
Wow.  R35.  That's great. 

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2021, 10:22:44 AM »
Wow.  R35.  That's great.
  was not planed, just what was available  quickly... hmm the high product was on the shelf.  Imagine that.  I did lose a bit of interior  space, but not really a big deal.  No real increase in load( almost identical concrete  usage)  just more foam. 

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:

Sponsor

« Reply #145 on: Today at 07:10:32 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2021, 11:29:42 AM »
I think its a fad that will go away when the 1st house falls down to a natural disaster.    It was more of a look at this cool thing we can do, rather than being practical.

The only way stick building will go away is if the cost goes up dramatically.   We had a 400-1000% cost on lumber and it did not stop any one from stick building.( at least for established home builders, I am have always been a maverick  when it comes to that)

tombogan03884

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2021, 01:35:31 PM »
Europe does not have earth quakes, tornadoes or hurricanes.

With no real steal reinforcement, it won't hold up to even moderate  ones of the above.   I also have really serious concerns about bond between the layers.   If everything is perfect it should not be an issue. But what happens when you have a delay between layers.  Rather thats traffic, rejected  load of mix, equipment failure.   Cold joints can be handled easily  with conventional  methods, only they are using exotic ( and expensive  mixes) stuff to make it work.   I also have to question the green aspect of the process  as they are using lots of acrylic polymers  in the mix to reduce the water content.   Which are not green, both in thier production and when they evaporate.

It really is a wiz bang boom  type of construction, that needs either a drastic improvement or will be forgotten.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2021, 01:23:09 PM »
<snip>
With no real steal reinforcement, it won't hold up to even moderate  ones of the above.   I also have really serious concerns about bond between the layers.   If everything is perfect it should not be an issue. But what happens when you have a delay between layers.  Rather thats traffic, rejected  load of mix, equipment failure.   Cold joints can be handled easily  with conventional  methods, only they are using exotic ( and expensive  mixes) stuff to make it work.  <snip>

Is that wildly different from structural brick?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2021, 09:52:31 PM »
Is that wildly different from structural brick?

Brick has at least tie in bricks and h bar.  This stuff has none of that. 

It is basicly using a giant piping bag full of frosting.  How many layers can you stack be for you have issues?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk