Author Topic: Scout Rifle 2.0  (Read 3728 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Scout Rifle 2.0
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 09:11:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure the little drones ARE in general use.
I don't know how far they've gotten on unmanned ships, but if I were young I would not plan on being a fighter pilot.
I think the ones currently serving will be the last ones the US uses.
Planes have been capable of pilot killing maneuvers for decades, now remote control is catching up.

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »
Wandering back on topic,  ;D
I'm watching a video of Ian McCollum shooting a 2 gun match with a Garand, set up with a scout style scope.
It occurred to me that the whole idea was a preview of the direction modern optics have taken.
How would you get Aim Point  effect if Aim Point hasn't been invented yet ?

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 10:17:21 PM »
Tom... possibly the Armson OEG black field dot sight from South Africa...I don't remember when I got my original Aimpoint...whether I had seen an Armson prior to that or not (I still have the sight)

looking back when I first stuck an EER 2.5x pistol scope on a Mini 14 shortly after I read of Cooper's Scout Rifle, it now occurs to me that Cooper was most likely approaching my age (73), and possibly suffering from cataract growth, and age related vision concerns as I am... the scope put the sight picture in a convenient depth of focus for those with distance vision, and did not require alignment of rear-front-target required by iron sights... having the sight that far down from your eye, greatly improved your situational awareness by not blocking a large portion of your field of view... much like the use of the Bindon Aiming Concept (with a bright fiber optic lit center aiming point) with a fixed power magnified ACOG.... with which you can track a moving target, or moving rifle, the brain tracks movement on 1x ,and when the movement stops the brain causes the image to then become 4x (on a 4x32)

or he just borrowed the idea from the Germans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKlFGc9fjkg

most of the low powered variable optic scopes (LPVO) have an illuminated center dot that functions similar to the ACOG, and probably cheaper

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 08:22:06 AM »
<snip>
Full writeup on the build and the thought processes behind it will show up next month on the Ammoman blog.

I was perusing that Ammoman blog for the first time.  I had no idea that submarine targets existed. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 08:33:45 AM »
That K-98 is nothing to brag about  LOL.
500 yard precision from the scope isn't very impressive on a rifle with 1500+ yards Iron sights.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:23:03 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 10:16:49 AM »
Tom... I've shot only one K98, and that was at 200m,  back when I had pretty good vision... the triangular "barley corn" front sight was, for me, a terrible sight for shooting a relative small target (IHMSA chicken at 200m)

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 08:00:44 PM »
Tom... I've shot only one K98, and that was at 200m,

HOLY CRAP !
Finally something I have more experience with  than you .    ;D
I've shot quite a few Mausers, not just the 8 mm.
Paul Mauser was right, 7X57 mm is the best Military rifle cartridge of the age.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 10:22:51 AM »
a good friend had a 7x57 in a Ruger 77... he took a lot of Georgia deer with it

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 08:25:24 AM »
The 6.5 Swede, is a beautiful shooter, but for actual military use the 7X57 is better since it's more effective in machine guns, and that interchangeability is important for militaries.
Ever notice that every single non neutral country that adopted smaller calibers, US Navy, Italy, Japan, all changed to over 7mm at the first opportunity ?
That's why I have no use for 5.56.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2020, 11:51:47 PM »
As of 2019 USSOCOM was still using the Puma AE (All Environment) small Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS). But there were still no scouts using a scout rifle AFAIK.

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/puma-unmanned-aircraft-system-us/

I still have 20/20 vision in both eyes* but I'm far-sighted. On a good day I can read exit signs on the freeway from about 1/4 of a mile, but if I read something with regular size print I usually have to hold it away from me to focus on it. I have reading glasses that focus at roughly a foot and a half but don't need computer glasses. At this point I'm wondering if an EER scope would work better than one with standard eye relief, not that I'm actually going to buy a new scope any time soon.

* I thought my vision was worse than 20/20 in my right eye but I was just looking at the part of my medical chart next to it where it said what they considered acceptable or normal, whatever it was. My right eye has a worse cataract than the left. I can't see anything but glare when the eye doctor asks me to read the eye chart while he's shining a light in my eye, but other than that no problem. I've never been able to shoot a rifle or pistol with both eyes open because both eyes are fighting for dominance. When I checked a few days ago I was left-eye dominant and I didn't know if I was going to stay that way, but right now I'm right-eye dominant again. A scout scope may or may not work better for me but I would still have to close one eye to aim.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk