Author Topic: CNMG AR-15 .22 L.R. Conversion Kit ??  (Read 4242 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: CNMG AR-15 .22 L.R. Conversion Kit ??
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 05:02:23 AM »
Do they tumble?

They do for me. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 08:09:42 AM »
my Steel Challenge rifle is a CMMG "B" unit in a ~10" barrel on my registered SBR with a Holosun 510c and B5 stock... works really well for me... in shooting competition with a .22lr, access to the chamber area and bolt face for cleaning is important, as well as what I perceive as the better extractor and ejector, compared to friend's SW 15-22 and Ruger 10/22s....mine appears to be much more reliable... I shoot CCI Blazer for competition, and Federal Bulk Champion for practice

I shot an older "A" unit in a standard 1/8 5.56 barrel for a couple of years, and accuracy was about 3 1/2" at 50yd...

if you shoot a CMMG unit and experience ignition problems with some bulk ammo (ammo primer compound problem,) I'd suggest a firing pin from Bore Buddy... kind of a unique design... in addition to a radius at the step down transition, the strike end is not a traditional wedge, but a circular (flat) hit that strikes just below the rim, where it does not have to compress the fold of two layers of cartridge brass... really smacks it hard

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 09:45:04 AM »
At the current prices, I see no point in 22 conversions.
Lack of availability, and asinine prices eliminate any savings,

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

As for making changes to a centerfire gun to suit the adapter is a bad idea,
All adapters/ conversion units are a kludge just by the nature of making something do things it wasn't designed for.
If you want to train with 22 make the kludge suit the rifle for less hassle changing back to the primary mode.
If you want a good 22 get a 22.
It will be no more expensive, and being purpose built, it will work better.
If you just want stuff to hang on your AR send me an STL file for it and I will print you out a cup holder.   ;D

Timothy

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
Although it doesn’t work well on extraction, I yoosta could shoot my 1903 pump .22 as fast as an AR type!

At least for the 8 rounds the mag held and one indapipe!

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 03:23:47 PM »
Although it doesn’t work well on extraction, I yoosta could shoot my 1903 pump .22 as fast as an AR type!

At least for the 8 rounds the mag held and one indapipe!

Is that southeast of Pakistan? :D
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:07:55 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 04:07:42 PM »
Is that southeast of Pakistan? :D

Only thing "indapipe" around here is "daweed".   ;D

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 07:58:56 PM »
I'm 73, overweight, and osteo arthritis in my left knee... in 92+ heat with 100+ heat index it is hot as hell to shoot in Florida in July/August/September/October... I have a battery powered Ridgid contractor fan, umbrella, soft sided cooler, and stool on my gun cart... Steel Challenge allows me to play in the shooting sports ,and not damage anything

I'm not rich, but have no real outstanding expenses,  so a SC match of 6 stages (5 runs on 5 targets) is a minimum of 150 rounds of ammo... .22lr ammo is available at $.10/round + tax but free shipping...so a day of shooting competition for $15+ entry fee... I shoot 3 matches a month, plus 4 practice sessions a month...

from the competitive aspect... .22lr offers the least amount of dot scope shake, and rim fire rifle open division's is a highly competitive division.... peak time for a couple of the fastest stages is 7.5 seconds ( 7.5 seconds for 4 runs, your slowest run is thrown out), so from a low ready position you need to shoot 5 targets with an average time of 1.875 seconds...your actual time is factored to a percentages of that time determines your classification

the modifications to my SBR and Ruger MKIV have been primarily to enhance reliability of the platforms... you get to only throw away one run per stage... I don't mind making a mistake with a shot, but I hate to have the firearm go down... regards Les

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 08:23:43 PM »
For me switching from centerfire to 22LR and back helps identify, isolate and address bad habits.  Especially with handguns.  Going to the diminutive 22LR really improved my performance on centerfire.  My CMMG units work as well as "real thing".  Also with the 22LR you can shoot a lot more rounds with a lot less fatigue and get in more reps and more productive reps to improve one's performance. 

Now, if I could just find the time to shoot....

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 01:44:02 AM »
My concept with this whole deal is simply added usefulness. .22 ammo I got. A LOT OF. I've bought tons of it over the years, anticipating lots of use from all of my rimfire guns after retirement. As it turned out, my supply has out distanced my demand. I have several AR's. (All .223 / 5.56 MM). So I figure for around $200.00 I can have ALL of them able to shoot .22 L.R. as well. It just seemed like an obvious purchase.

I've held off until now because some of the earlier models had reliability issues. But most all of those problems seem to have been solved, and these things are selling by the boxcar load. If this thing runs good, and I find I really like it, I just may spring for a dedicated .22 L.R. upper. But for now we'll see how it goes. It's coming today.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 08:00:03 AM »
The only issue I've had with 22's is that past about 10 years it loses it's pizzazzzz.  Be ready to knock stuck lead out of your barrel....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk