Author Topic: 'Shooting Back' author: Why guns, church must mix.  (Read 8988 times)

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: 'Shooting Back' author: Why guns, church must mix.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 05:41:30 PM »
I NEVER carried in church..................until several weeks ago when some mental case took umbrage at something that was said on the radio show and made a death threat.  Now, not only do I carry in church, I have acquired a waterproof holster I carry in the frickin SHOWER!!!
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »
Interesting post runtowin, and its one I struggle with. I know this board is about guns not theology but its worth mentioning (since you bring it up ;D). I'm an Episcopalian, to probably no one's surprise, but I did teach 4 years at a Quaker school, and learned a lot from them. On the one hand, carrying a gun into a church seems like sacraliege, on the other, life happens, no matter where you are. Its a tough call. It brings up that question Rob keeps raising about should and could. I've recently decided to carry in church (thanks to advice from this board), but I don't like it. Se la guerre I suppose.
fightingquaker13

If you read the Bible instead of just referencing it, Jesus was hard on his people, making sure they were armed. And He did not eschew violence himself, forging a whip and physically driving the money changers out of the Temple in Jersulaem.

When Peter cut the ear off the man in the Garden, Jesus did not chide him for his violence, but simply told him to put his sword away, as what was happening was supposed to happen.

We are all challenged - mandated - to be warriors and stand up to evil. If you want to do that unarmed, be my guest. If you don't like carrying in church, then do not carry. Armed and not wanting to be is as useless as not being armed when you need to be. If you don't want to drop the hammer in church in fear of offending someone - including yourself - then do not drop the hammer - stand up unarmed. Otherwise you will hesitate just enough to die with the rest and not stop the evil in your midst.

Fools must hold a very special place in God's Plan, as he made so many of them.

That said, ND forbids CCW in churches. We lost the proposed changes to the law this session, will have to wait another 2 years for the next session.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 07:58:52 PM »
I carry in church.  There's got to be 1/2 dozen men I know in the church that carry. 

At a past church, our pastor has received death threats, had their pets killed, tires slashed, etc.  I know other pastors that have received death threats...even as far back as the 60's (and that one was for preaching the Ten Commandments). 

If your pastor/congregation sanctions carry in church, I would think that is a religious decision outside the purview of the state.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 12:36:28 PM »
The tradition of the "Warrior Priests" such as the Templar's , and even the defensive nature of many Monasteries, Cathedrals and Churches, When Gothic builders put those crenelations along the walls, they were thinking of Archery positions during a seige, The early settlers up here in New England, were required to present their weapons for inspection at Church each week. How else would one defend a "Sanctuary" than by having weapons there?

As to FQ's post, He quotes "Interesting post runtowin, and its one I struggle with. I know this board is about guns not theology but its worth mentioning (since you bring it up Grin). I'm an Episcopalian, to probably no one's surprise, but I did teach 4 years at a Quaker school, and learned a lot from them. On the one hand, carrying a gun into a church seems like sacraliege, on the other, life happens, no matter where you are. Its a tough call. It brings up that question Rob keeps raising about should and could. I've recently decided to carry in church (thanks to advice from this board), but I don't like it. Se la guerre I suppose.
fightingquaker13

In reality it's about whatever catches our collective interests. I'm serious, if it were not for the side tracks of life and the large family squabbling this would read like the transcript of a debate society.
We practice for our enemies, by fighting among our selves  ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 01:09:32 PM »

In reality it's about whatever catches our collective interests. I'm serious, if it were not for the side tracks of life and the large family squabbling this would read like the transcript of a debate society.
We practice for our enemies, by fighting among our selves
  ;D

Very good point, indeed.
It's the variety on here that makes it different from some forums out there that are about as much fun as watching C-Span while sober. Technically this is a firearms related forum and we all mostly stick to that, but the daily diversions and insights into each others personalities is what makes DRTV better than most.
JMHO.

8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:00:14 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 02:05:34 PM »
Shiny stuff  ;D

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
Shiny stuff  ;D

Yeah.....like a 9+ page thread about COFFEE..........jeez.......

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

Boobs.

Boobs is good.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »
Boobs are better than coffee.....!!! ;D

I have it on good authority!

Shiney turds!!!! :P  Not so good....

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 04:54:55 PM »
Boobs.

Where?       :o

Ok, I'm off to the corner now.
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk