Author Topic: Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!  (Read 25531 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »
We fried 16 pieces and there are three left and I DOUBT they will make it through the evening.  ;)

BTW I immediately printed out the recipe and stuck it in my cook book binder.  Good thing I did as I somehow deleted the email!  :-[

All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »
 M'ette, you have to remember you are dealing with "Guy" priorities here.
Food, guns, beer, women (naked), Food, women (not naked, but WITH guns, or food ) beer, cars, more food, all the rest.

;D

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
Haz, I think you are alot like me.  God help us both.

M'ette, if you were to post the formula, my children would be very grateful ;D
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 03:20:53 PM »
Jeeminy~~~ *shaking my head*.. All this over Fried Chicken.............

There is more to this story than him calling and asking for recipes..
 (((Allow me to tell you the story))) :D

He calls.. And said..." I have all these thigh and leg sections and I don't know what to do with them.. "
My answer can't be repeated..   :-X

He said.." I'm tired of the same old stuff. Give me something I can make."
 I said  " Uhhh you mean with the chicken? Besides like.. Fried or............
He interrupted me and blurted out.. (all excited...)" I LOVE Fried Chicken! But I can't fry it. I'm afraid it won't be done and all my breading falls off and it is just a mess".

Sooo I proceeded to tell him that I had a reputation in this county
 ( besides the one you have read on the bathroom walls ) ;D  for my fried chicken..
I started telling him how to do it.
 He interrupted me and said ."Ok.. go slow and tell me again.."
so I started again.. and he interrupted again and said" WAIT!! I have to get  pencil and paper to write it down... (After hearing sounds like a rat in a cereal box he was back.
" Ok he said... Tell me slow..and in detail. Every little thing and DON'T leave anything out!!"
(((I thought he was being a bit bossy.. but I didn't say anything))) ::)

So I proceeded to tell him in detail how he was to do it!
Then he asks.. "NOW.. I need sides.. "
So I sighed ..( thinking maybe I ought to catch a flight and just go cook for him myself) ::) and told him some sides that I make that is my family's favorites..*but would be easy for him*  ;)

I told him ..after being on the phone for well over 30 minutes.........................
 that I would immediately set down and send him the directions and my recipes for the sides.
I did...............
And  low and behold before I got  the 2nd one typed out.. he was e-mailing me that he LOST the chicken directions!
WHAT??
I typed back to him" For the love of  holy shit! How do you hang up the phone and "LOSE" something you just wrote down...I mean how ..............??
Well .... he meekly admitted that I was right.. ..that he had looked at every scrap of paper EVERYWHERE~~but he couldn't find it. ...and could I write it all down and send it to him again anyway.......
 sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... ::)
 I said ok.. hell it was like I didn't have anything else to do but pander to his female kitchen side ..

So I did.. like a dutiful friend .. I typed out every detail ..

And when he called me during the process.. he and chet were like little kids who had placed 1st in a race.. LOL
 so it was worth every little word I typed..

And yea..I'll be glad to give it to you all too if you want me to post it. But I have to tell you that my recipes are "my recipes.." I kinda cook by 'feel' and sight.. I don't use measuring cups or spoons.. So when I give you a recipe.. I have kinda gone in and "tried" to judge about how much this is or that is....  :-\  

Comment of the day award!

....But did anyone else notice that there was no recipe in that post ???
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
Haz, I think you are alot like me.  God help us both.

M'ette, if you were to post the formula, my children would be very grateful ;D
+1
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:30:37 AM »

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
Ok.. you all ask for it.. Remember... this was written in detail for Haz........... ::)
So there should be no mistake on HOW to do this!

Cut your chicken up.. put it in cold water with salt added.

let it set in the water.

Use solid shortening. Crisco.. ( NOT OIL)
 Fill your skillet up about an inch. Make sure it will sizzle flour at a medium sizzle.

Get your salted flour and take a piece of chicken directly out of the water and put it in the floor. Proceed to kinda pack the flour firmly all over the chicken turning gently and doing to all sides. Set it in the grease. After you get the skillet full, make sure it is frying at a good medium pace. Put the lid on..
 turn it when you can see that one side has started to brown pretty well.
Then turn it again until it's good and crispy and brown on all sides. ( should take about 25 minutes for a skillet of chicken.)
Between each skillet full... drain your hot grease in a sieve and then pour the strained grease back into skillet and add more Crisco and melt.

Then start over...

Put your cooked chicken in paper towels in a big cake pan or something. Sometimes if I have a lot of chicken I will first put it on paper towels on a cookie sheet and then after 5-10 minutes move it to the other paper towel lined pan.. ( This keeps it from laying on top of each other before it is drained. )

You can add garlic powder or any "dry additive" to your flour if you want for a different flavor...

If you need help.. call me.

XO  Good luck.. You won't be sorry you learned how to do this..  

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »
Thanks M'ette. I've already copied the recipe and I'm looking forward to a trial run. ;D

I have fried chicken before but I just used vegetable oil. I bet that the Crisco makes it better.

Us Southerners sometimes soak the cut up chicken in buttermilk. That's pretty good too. If you like spicy chicken...like Popeye's, add cayenne pepper, paprika and a good quality white pepper. The white pepper is the Popeye's secret.

“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 04:38:40 PM »
Thank you.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 04:39:11 PM »
OK guys here is my version of M'ettes recipe

Cut the chicken into legs, thighs and breasts (if ya bought whole quarters like I did)

Put the chicken into salted water and let stand for a while (use LOTS of salt)

In a chicken fryer type skillet put Crisco (not lard, not oil!) and let melt so you have about an inch in the skillet.

Next mix up regular flour and salt (lots of salt) and place the chicken into it.  PACK the flour onto the chicken so it is good and coated.

Here T says make sure the Crisco is hot enough to sizzle four at a medium sizzle  That part threw me a bit so I bought one of those thermometers that clip onto the pan.  I heated the Crisco to around 340-360 digress.

Toss (carefully!) the chicken into the skillet. DON"T TOUCH OR MOVE IT AGAIN UNTIL IT IS READY TO TURN!  That will be in about 12 minutes or so.  Keep an eye on the temperature.

Turn and cook on the other side for another 12 minutes or so.  

In between skillets fulls drain and strain the Crisco.  It will get darker but you want to get the crud out of it and off the bottom of the skillet.   This is a bit of a chore but DON"T skip this.

I set theckiken on a rack to drain (on a cookie sheet) and placed that in a warm oven to keep the chicken hot while I cooked the rest.

TASTE the first batch to see if ya need to add salt to the four (takes more salt than ya might think)

I also added garlic powder, paprika and some pepper flakes to the flour.  GOOOOOOOOD!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 04:46:08 PM »
Thanks M'ette ;D

Haz, did you make some chicken gravy to go with it?
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk