Author Topic: DSA FAL vs Rock River LAR8 or DPMS Panther LR-AP4  (Read 27691 times)

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DSA FAL vs Rock River LAR8 or DPMS Panther LR-AP4
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 10:48:54 PM »
I would love to own a Rock River or the DPMS LR-AP4. FAL's are very expensive and if I had the money I would own one myself. But the Rock River or DPMS is more attainable and affordable along with the accessories.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 06:27:46 AM »
I'm looking at acquiring a 7.62 rifle and am considering three different variants; an FAL from DSA, Rock River LAR8 or DPMS Panther LR-AP4.  

So, what did you get?

I love my FAL..but I have a RRA LAR-8 Varmint on order and it can share mags.   I looked hard at the Armalite and I really like it but....for the $$$$'s difference I plan to use the savings to put good glass on the RRA.  Methinks the $$$'s spent on glass will likely have a better bang for the buck when it comes to accuracy and target acquisition.  Concerning what's best among like models of interesting guns, it's the specific reliability and quality between models you can research and have a say in whether you buy or not.

I am in the camp that says picking a gun up out of a box is the luck of the draw when it comes to accuracy.  There are a few things you can do to help yourself buy an accuracy "class" like stiff barrels, good triggers, etc...but when it comes down to it....when all the parts are put together how will that "system" work together to produce a standard of accuracy.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 08:43:26 PM »
I have both the Imbel FAL and the Armalite AR-10B.  A friend has the LAR-8 and really likes it, although I have never shot it.  I love the Imbel, but if I had to do it again I would get a DSA.

Oh, and CProducts is making SR-25 magazines which will work in the DPMS.  Armalite recently had a sale on their magazines at $23 each.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
I had an AR-10 on order for the better part of a year last year...and then Lash closed his store due to health and so went the order.  It is good to hear Armalite is not squeezing people on mag prices any more...at least that was my take.  So when I got back on the .308 AR semi-auto platform bug I moved over to the LAR-8 in varmint model.

How does your friend like it?

By the way, how've you been Bidah?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Terrato

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »
LaRue has a new AR-style rifle in .308 - the OBR (Optimzed Battle Rifle).  It takes the SR-25 style magazines.  Looks like one heck of a rifle if you have an extra kidney to sell...   ;)

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:48:01 PM »

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 08:27:07 AM »
Apologies Rastus I missed your post.  He really likes his LAR-8, although he says that it likes some FAL magazines better than others.  Heck, even my FAL likes some better than others :)

As for me, I was really busy at the end of the year (only home 8 days October through December), and then nothing so far since the beginning of January.  At least I have had time to shoot and tweak my cold weather gear. :D

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 09:46:55 PM »
I have a Rock River LAR8 with two extra FAL 20 round mags.  I paid $12.00 each at a gun show.  They look to be made just like the original new one from RR only a little more scuffed up.  They work perfectly.

The kick is more of a push than a jolt.  I would compare it to a 12 Ga automatic shotgun with dove loads.

My only complaint is that it is a heavy gun.  It sights easy but would be a load with a scope and full mag to carry around on a hunt all day.   I have the Eotec L3 sight and love the both eyes open effect.  I have my eye on a magnifyer that I saw on line comes in 3X, 5X, and 7X but have not made up my mind which one. 

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »
My only complaint is that it is a heavy gun.  It sights easy but would be a load with a scope and full mag to carry around on a hunt all day. 

Oh c'mon DeltaM, just MAN UP!!  I hunt all over the mountains here in Montana with the AR-10B heavy barrel.  :)  Just get out and practice more..

Sorry, I just could not resist.  Surprisingly my AR-10 weighs more than my FAL.. not much, but it does.

-Bidah

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »
Oh c'mon DeltaM, just MAN UP!!  I hunt all over the mountains here in Montana with the AR-10B heavy barrel.  :)  Just get out and practice more..

Sorry, I just could not resist.  Surprisingly my AR-10 weighs more than my FAL.. not much, but it does.

-Bidah

Been there done that but it was 50+ years ago.  Age makes you smart enough not to waste your body ;)

One other point about the LAR8.  It has the best single action trigger pull of any rifle I have ever owned.  That feature alone makes it worth toting around.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk