Author Topic: Mosin-Nagant Project  (Read 26884 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mosin-Nagant Project
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »
Didn't Haz, Jr. harvest a porker with a stabby thing?

Several.   ;) ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
If you want to mount a scope, there is an 11mm rail underneath the rear sight.  The sight is soldered on, so I had to heat it with a torch - but it came off once the solder melted.  All you need then is an 11mm to picatinny rail adapter. See
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Profile-Airgun-Picatinny-Adaptor/dp/B001CJ67E6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1416019475&sr=1-1&keywords=UTG+Low+Profile+.22%2FAirgun+to+Picatinny%2FWeaver+Rail+Adaptor

This one has a screw that goes downward from the upper rail.  I dimpled the front sight base so the base can't move fore and aft.  Of course I locktighted every screw too.  Less than $13.00 for a great, low profile scout mount.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
PegLeg:  Thanks, I had already picked up some carriage bolts and compound.   Saw that trick a while back.

Haz, Timothy:  I can't find my pokey thing.    It's around here somewhere.

Vince:  Thanks for the tip.   I've ordered a universal FO front sight, $15, which if my calculations are correct, will be close enough.    I might look more carefully at that rear sight though.   I might even have some 11mm rings around.   I still have odd stuff I bought at a defunct gun store auction 20 years ago.  Among which were some uncommon sized rings.

I'm in the process of filling the holes and sanding the stock.    May start on the crown today.  It doesn't have to be much, just enough to remove the burrs from cutting and to give it some minimal protection.

This isn't going to be a Winslow grade stock or a benchrest shooter.   Just taking a really cheap rifle and making it into a more handy, really cheap rifle.    One that I could loose, lend or leave behind and not sweat about it.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 10:17:24 AM »
Sounds like a fun project.  I'm scheming to see if I can call a new pistol a Christmas present. Not sure how that's going to go.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
Okay.   The crown is done and blued.     I went to one of the old-timey hardware stores, downtown Marietta, today and low and behold they had spherical grinding stones.   I got one medium grit and one medium-fine.  A couple of minutes with each then polished with the bolt heads and compound.   Let's see, that was $4 of the stones, $5 for the compound and $3 for the carriage bolts.

Here's what it looks like.  Haven't done a real good "cleaning" of the bore at this point.

And the stock is stripped, holes filed and a coat of sanding sealer applied.   Thought you'd like to see the progress.

I plugged the cleaning rod hole.  Maybe I shouldn't have and instead cut the rod down to new size.  Nahh.

Also removed about a half inch from the butt and filled what was left of the butt plate recess.  Obviously plugged the sling hole.  (Yes, I will put the cross bolt back in before I fire it.)   Oh and I opened up the inside of the forearm a little to make sure the barrel is free floating.

More sanding, then a stain and then a sealer.   Waiting on the front sight.  Fortunately, the one other machine tool I have available is a substantial drill press.
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:48:05 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »
Looking good, Alf.

Looks OK the way it is, but if you wanted to go a step farther on the barrel tip, you can also take two flat head elevator bolts and glue 1000 and 2000 grit emery cloth to them and smooth the saw tooth marks from the end of the barrel.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_137616-37672-881012_4294710928__?productId=3722632&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 03:16:47 PM »
I thought long and hard about doing something like this to my Mosin but in the end I decided to keep it stock for the historic aspects.  But I must say this I really like the way your project is going alfsauve!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 06:43:15 AM »
Just a quick update.    Finished the stock.  Or as much as I'm going to do on it.  Nothing fancy.  A little dark stain, then a two coats of Tung Oil.   Added a slip-on recoil pad that I already had.

The front sight arrived.   REALLY FOLKS.  It's a universal front sight.  You know it's going to be a DIY project.  You gotta be pretty sure the buyer is going to have to drill and tap the hole.   Couldn't you at least print the screw size on the package?   Is it metric or SAE?  Huh?  Your web site has wonderful charts and graphs on the calculation of the height of the front sight.   But really a simple, "3.5mm" would have done wonders.  I have some taps, but gee rather than first find a nut that fits the screw then find the tap that fits the nut, would it have been too much trouble?

So, first I have to find the right tap, then make the drilling jig.   It will probably be late this weekend before I get it finished.
Will work for ammo

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 07:00:40 AM »
A thread gauge is a handy tool to have in the toolbox.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 09:37:29 PM »
Or, you could use a screw of your own choosing, with known thread cut....as long as it fits the hole through the sight.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk