Author Topic: SAAMI Is A Crock !  (Read 14118 times)

Timothy

Re: SAAMI Is A Crock !
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
Yes, I misspoke;  today's MATERIALS are superior but I agree on the quality of some firearms.  I own a '69 Wingmaster that is hands down better than anything produced today!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »
What's the difference in metallurgy between a 70's S&W and today's? Be precise.

You tell me. You're the one who started talking about metallurgy.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »
You tell me. You're the one who started talking about metallurgy.

Then how do you know it's "better"? I said there is no doubt better metal available. That we know with certainty. But how do you know it's being used in today's revolvers? And if it is, how much "stronger" has it made them? And assuming it has, why has SAAMI still continued to reduce pressures across the board? Remember, you said :

Something else occurred to me. The metallurgy of new guns is getting better but that also means the metallurgy of old guns wasn't so good.

So I'm assuming you know for a fact they are using "better metal" in the manufacturing process of newer guns. So if you know this, how much stronger are they, than these older guns which you claim to be, "inferior"?.... Remember, I've maintained all along, that I believe this has nothing to do with metal and chamber pressures. And everything to do with lawyers and legal pressure.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 10:00:18 PM »
Then how do you know it's "better"? I said there is no doubt better metal available. That we know with certainty. But how do you know it's being used in today's revolvers? And if it is, how much "stronger" has it made them? And assuming it has, why has SAAMI still continued to reduce pressures across the board? Remember, you said :

So I'm assuming you know for a fact they are using "better metal" in the manufacturing process of newer guns. So if you know this, how much stronger are they, than these older guns which you claim to be, "inferior"?.... Remember, I've maintained all along, that I believe this has nothing to do with metal and chamber pressures. And everything to do with lawyers and legal pressure.

I don't know anything for a fact except that I agreed with you when you said, "If anything, today's guns are stronger than ever before. Modern metallurgy, along with steel manufacturing is producing far higher tensile strength materials, than were being produced back 50 years ago." If you know that for a fact, why are you asking me? And if you didn't know what you were talking about then, and have changed your mind now, don't blame me for what's going on between your ears. I can't fix whatever's wrong with your thought processes. Better metal is available now. It would be quite odd if no one is using it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 05:54:31 AM »
Frank is just a dick that has to be in a beef with some one.
He should get married.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:53:32 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2017, 06:37:34 AM »
He should get married.

He reminds me of F.Q.

tombogan03884

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2017, 06:40:34 AM »
At least FQ was interesting, Frank doesn't even have that going for him .

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
He should get married.

You're just jealous that when Bill started arguing with himself about metallurgy (modern metallurgy is/is not better) you weren't invited to play along.   ;)  Just because my opinion occasionally differs from you guys doesn't make me a dick. It just means that I can form my own opinion. When else in several years have I ever had to be in a beef with someone? BTW, I was married and she was almost as much a bitch as you are. Is it any wonder I dumped her?

jatlasshrugged

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »
In 1978 I bought several(!!) boxes of Browning 300 WinMag ammunition. This ammo was 150 gr with a 3400 ft/sec muzzle velocity. I actually still have some. The standards and hence velocities have obviously gone down over time.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
In 1978 I bought several(!!) boxes of Browning 300 WinMag ammunition. This ammo was 150 gr with a 3400 ft/sec muzzle velocity. I actually still have some. The standards and hence velocities have obviously gone down over time.

If you really want to see a difference, try some of the old Weatherby brand .300 Weatherby Magnum ammunition, (brown, red, and yellow box with the wildcat on it), compared to what Weatherby sells today. Or some of the late 60's early 70's Remington green and red box with white lettering 240 Gr. .44 Magnum Lead Gas Check ammo. NOTHING in .44 Magnum was EVER loaded hotter! Including most anything from Super-Vel.

Hot As A Blowtorch

Cold As Ice

Nothing Hotter In .44 Magnum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk